The Holy Spirit is one of the three Divine Beings (let’s call them Persons) and part of what is known as “The Trinity”.
The Bible presents the Holy Spirit in many ways:
- As a dove: Matt. 3:16-17
- As fire, Acts 2:3
- As wind, John 3:8
He also has the following names:
- God (Acts 5:3-4)
- Spirit (1 Cor. 2:10)
- Truth (John 15:26)
- Lord (2 Cor. 3:18)
We can actually attack the Holy Spirit in certain actions, like:
- We can curse the Holy Spirit (Matt 12:31) (heavy)
- We can insult the Holy Spirit (Heb. 10:29)
- We can grieve and quench the Holy Spirit (Eph. 4:30 and 1 Thess. 5:19)
- We can also resist the Holy Spirit with lack of faith (Acts 7:51).
Finally, the Holy Spirit was very active in the life of Jesus. We are told that Jesus, as a man, was actually conceived by the Holy Spirit in Matt 1:18 and 20; Jesus was baptized by the Holy Spirit as seen in Matt. 3:15, He also “filled” Jesus with Power as in Luke 4:14 and 18. The Spirit also “led” Jesus in his ministry (Luke 4:1) and it is written that the Holy Spirit rose Jesus from the dead (Rom 8:11)
So there you have it. All these elements make the Holy Ghost a unique, different and wonderful Divine Person.
- Matthew 3:16-17 - And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him; and behold, a voice from heaven said, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased."
- Acts 2:2-3 - And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them.
- John 3:5-8 - "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born again.' The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit."
- Acts 5:3-4 - But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back for yourself part of the proceeds of the land? While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not at your disposal? Why is it that you have contrived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God."
- 1 Corinthians 2:10 - these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God.
- John 15:26 - "But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me.
- 2 Corinthians 3:18 - And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.
- Matthew 12:31 - Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.
- Hebrews 10:29 - How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has spurned the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace?
- Ephesians 4:30 - And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:19-22 - Do not quench the Spirit. Do not despise prophecies, but test everything; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil.
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version copyright (c)2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved. http://www.esv.org