Father – His Love
By faith in Jesus, we were given a new nature… a divine nature. This gives us spiritual interests but we need also to know of the intimate relationship we have with the Father. That closeness will give us power, boldness.
We know that the Father’s delight was in Christ. Jesus was in the daily enjoyment of this relationship. Well, Scripture says, in speaking of Jesus: “as he is, so are we.” Ok. So that means that through faith, God has become a Father to us and thus, we, who are creatures of God by natural birth have become sons and daughters of the Father in our new birth through Faith and Redemption.
This relationship is so intimate, the word “Father” (Abba) in Syriac or Chaldee are found only 3 times (Mark 14:36; Rom. 8:15 and Gal. 4:6) and is a term expressing warm affection and filial confidence. The closest we have in the English language is “Daddy”.
The love of the Father towards us can be summarized in the following way with the related biblical verses:(According to the order of the books in the New Testament)
- The Father knows our needs and responds to them: Luke 12:30;
- The Father has promised us glory in a future kingdom: Luke 12:32;
- As in the story of Luke 15, the Father is “moved with compassion” towards us… and “ran and fell upon” the neck of his child… and “covered him with kisses”. Luke 15:20;
- As a loving Father, he does not judge us but loves us: John 5:22;
- The Father gives us the true bread out of heaven: John 6:32;
- The Father gives us Eternal Life in His Son: John 6:40;
- The Father teaches us: John 6:45;
- The Father loves those who believe: John 14: 23;
- The Father sent us the Holy Spirit to comfort us: John 14:26;
- The Father is the one taking care of our growth and well being: John 15:1;
- The Father answers our requests: John 16:23;
- The Father brings us in unity with Himself and His Son: John 17:11;
- The Father gives us Freedom: “For ye have not received a spirit of bondage again for fear, but you have received a spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, (Daddy) Father…” Rom. 8:15;
- The Father gives us “compassion” and “encouragement” 2 Cor. 1:3;
- The Father gave us the Sprit of God; Gal 4:6;
- The Father blesses us with “every spiritual blessing in the heavenlies in Christ”Eph. 1:3;
- The Father gives us: “the sprit of wisdom and revelation in the full knowledge of him” Eph 1:17;
- The Father “…loves us” and has given us “…eternal consolation and goodhope…” 2 Thes. 2:16;
- The Father gives us “…grace, mercy, peace…” 2 Tim. 1:2;
- James tells us: “Every good gift and every perfect gift comes down from above, from the Father of lights, with whom is no variation nor shadow of turning.” James 1:17.
“See what love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God.” 1 John 3:1.