Eternal Life is promised to all persons who believe in Jesus Christ. That does not mean that those who do not know Christ are necessarily doomed… but it clearly states that all believers in Christ Jesus HAVE Eternal LIFE and therefore enter, right now, into the enjoyment of that Life.
It doesn’t make them “better” persons, it simply makes them “saved” persons.
But what is Eternal Life? To start with, Eternal Life is more than eternal “existence”. Eternal Life does not only have to do with longevity. It is related also to quality of being… and it is associated with your current and present consciousness… the life you currently have. You see, the Life that God offers must be associated with your present consciousness. It is Eternal Life – the present conscientiousness of your being plus the quality of the divine life of God – and that for all Eternity. You will forever remain a created being, yet, you will partake in the Life that God possesses. Its not only your present life forever… it’s God’s life, associated with your present consciousness.
Therefore, Eternal Life is the Life of God, having no end and no beginning. It’s the quality of Life that divine Persons, Father, Son and Spirit enjoyed in the past eternity and will enjoy in the eternal future. That is what we are given when we believe in Jesus.
In Christ, Eternal Life is given through Redemption. Christ took upon himself the wrath of the judgement of God for our sins when he was on the Cross. For a time, he was cursed and abandoned by God, when the judgement of our sins fell upon Him. In so doing, those who have faith in His work can safely say that their sins have been washed away in the blood of Jesus. We don’t need to pay any price or membership or “do” something. All you need to do is BELIEVE !!!
John’s first epistle (5:11): “And this is the witness, that God has given to us eternal life; and this life is in his Son”. He has always had this eternal life in Himself. He was “with the Father” in the past eternity and therefore eternal life was with the Father. We also read in Titus 1, verse 2, of the “eternal life, which God, who cannot lie, promised before the ages of time”.
When Jesus lived on this earth, eternal life was manifested: “that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us” (1 John 1:2).
Again, how do we get Eternal Life? There are many verses that speak of this. For example, read the following passages in the Bible: John 3:15; John 3:16,36: John 5:24. Here is another quote: “I am come that they might have life” (John 10:10). 1 John 5:12:“he that has the Son has life: he that has not the Son of God has not life”.
There is another important issue to consider here. Eternal Life is not something that is going to be given to us later… at death… Eternal Life is available for those who have faith, immediately, while they are still alive. “These things have I written unto you that … ye may know that ye have eternal life” (1 John 5:13) and not “will have”. Of course, Paul, Jude and the writers of the 3 first gospels (Matthew, Mark and Luke) will use the term eternal life with reference to the future (e.g. Luke 18:18,30, Rom 2:7, 6:22,23, Titus 3:7, Jude 21, etc.) but John uses it in reference to the present. Cool stuff.
“And this is life eternal, that they might know thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent”. How do you get Eternal Life? The moment you accept Christ as your personal Savior, you have Eternal Life.
- Mark 10:45 - For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."
- Luke 9:22 - "The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and on the third day be raised."
- John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
- John 3:36 - Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.
- John 5:25-27 - "Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live. For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son also to have life in himself. And he has given him authority to execute judgment, because he is the Son of Man.
- John 6:40 - For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day."
- John 20:31 - but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.
The Holy Bible, English Standard Version copyright (c)2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved. http://www.esv.org